Two years ago I posted this on one of my old blogs and just found it today. I though it would be nice to post it here and give people an idea of one of the costumes I design also, to give people instruction on how they can make it. Since making this costume two years ago I have make improvements. Enjoy!
For Halloween I was Mad Moxxi from the video game Borderlands. Her costume is designed after a ring master in a circus but, instead of the circus she is the ringmaster of the Underdome which is a fighting arena.
She pretty much amazing!
I constructed this outfit on my own without using any patterns. The only things I had to refrence the outfit was internet pictures and the video game. All the material used to create this outfit came from Joann's Fabric store and Walmart. This was an intricate costume to construct that took a little over a moth to complete with countless hours involved. I could have had it completed sooner then a month but I did not want to stress myself out. I wanted the costume to look as much like the original as possible.
Costume Details (head to toe) :
*Top Hat- was black with black sparkles that I spray painted maroon. The I hot glued the black and white band to the top hat and then added the feathers and the queen of hearts playing card.
*Face- white costume makeup was used for the base. Heavy black liquid eye liner was used around my eyes and also for the small swirls around the right eye. A simple grey eye shadow was used on lids. Then came the rose red blush that was put in circles on my cheek bones. A bright red lipstick was used followed by more black liquid eye liner to make it look like I was smirking and also to put the beauty mark on.
*Heart- just a simple black outline colored in with red. (I was going to get the heart really tattooed but I didn't have enough time for it to heal before Halloween.)
*Jacket (Tail Coat)- A red and dark red marbled cotton fabric was used for the main part of the jacket. ( I could not find any lightly striped fabric like she is wearing in the game.) The lining of the jacket was made with a turquoise satin fabric where lining was put throughout the inside of the whole coat. Yellow double fold bias tape was used to outline the jacket. For the collar and cuffs I sewed cotton fabric to foam paper to give it a more structured look. Buttons were then sewn on. In order to get the buttons to look like the original I had to use a black paint marker to put the outline on them.
*Bottom- This party was easy seeing that I didn't have to do any sewing, just construction. I used a pair of black cotton shorts because I could not find any turquoise. Then I used fishnet tights that I cut holes in the leg had a black and white striped thigh high on. I was able to buy a garter like she has and then just added some belts. I then just used a pair of black ankle boots.
Due to time restraints I was not able to complete a few things I wanted like having covers on the boots and having the lining in the jacket look the same. But, with all this said and done I would have to say this costume turned out really well and I am extremely pleased with my work!
(The guy in the picture is my husband Josh who dressed like Ezio from Assassin's Creed 2. He also made his costume from scratch and did an amazing job!)